"3D printing technology has helped replace 75 percent of a patient’s skull with the approval of U.S. regulators.
The 3D-printed implant can replace the bone in people’s skulls damaged by disease or trauma, according to Oxford Performance Materials. The company announced it had received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for its skull implant on Feb. 18 — a decision that led to the first U.S. surgical operation on March 4.
"We see no part of the orthopedic industry being untouched by this," said Scott DeFelice, president of Oxford Performance Materials.
DeFelice’s company is already selling 3D-printed implants overseas as a contract manufacturer. But the FDA decision has opened the door for U.S. operations using the implants. [Video: A 3D Printer of Your Own]
3D printing’s advantage comes from taking the digitally scanned model of a patient’s skull and “printing” out a matching 3D object layer by layer. The precise manufacturing technique can even make tiny surface or edge details on the replacement part that encourage the growth of cells and allow bone to attach more easily.
About 300 to 500 U.S. patients could use skull bone replacements every month, according to DeFelice. The possible patients include people with cancerous bone in their skulls, as well as car accident victims and U.S. military members suffering from head trauma” (read more).
(Source: Discovery News)
30 Notes/ Hide
- sandwichpresss likes this
- mashirok reblogged this from shiv4
- mashirok likes this
- shiv4 reblogged this from theladygoogle
- shiv4 likes this
- foreverlosthere reblogged this from theladygoogle
- tasteslikeabruise reblogged this from theladygoogle
- tasteslikeabruise likes this
- melthedestroyer reblogged this from theladygoogle
- theladygoogle reblogged this from suzythered
- theladygoogle likes this
- suzythered reblogged this from jangojips
- erinnightwalker likes this
- keptin-indy likes this
- miss-slothrop likes this
- mochachino likes this
- possiblythreefourthspeahen likes this
- adventuresofananthropologist likes this
- allthisandtea likes this
- justanotherdharmabum likes this
- drawjereldraw likes this
- lizowl likes this
- jangojips reblogged this from theolduvaigorge
- xmorbidcuriosityx likes this
- theolduvaigorge posted this